Monday, January 26, 2009

The Liahona...

Just a quick post here. I wanted to write it down before it is forgotten. So I have been really trying my hardest to read the kids the scriptures in the morning. It is not an easy task but once we are reading I just feel such peace. I really want the kids to have a love for the gospel. I know growing up my mom would get us up at 6:30 to read scriptures and I honestly feel that seeing her love for them and devotion to teaching them to us is what enstilled such a love for the gospel in me. Sorry if that was a run on sentence. Anyways, here is how a conversation went with Tucker a few days ago.
T: Mom where is the Liahona?
M: mmmmm...well ya know that is a good question for daddy. Let's see if he knows.
(obviously I am not a genius with gospel or scripture stuff but I am trying)
T: Hey mom, why doesn't the Liahona work for bad guys.
M: Because...they don't follow the commandments of god
T: what are the commandments?
M: Uhhh...that is something we are going to read about later. But they are kind of like rules. ( I'm sweating bullets because like I said before I'm not the best and I'm afraid that the conversation is going to get deeper if the questions keep coming)
T: So the Liahona only works for the good guys.........(thinking)........Well, since I have been good do you think Heavenly Father will give me the Liahona?
M: No but it would be way cool if he did.
T: Why won't he.
M: Because there is no need for it right now.
T: Why?
M: Because...are you ready for lunch?
T: Mom, I love the scriptures. They are my favorite.
M: Tucker that makes me sooo happy.

That conversation right there gave even more determination to read to them...not only for them I've realized but because I need it (REALLY BAD). I just love the feeling that comes with reading the scriptures. I feel such a peace inside throughout the remainder of the day. So yeah...just a little post there.

10 comments:

Alison said...

Thanks for sharing. What a cute kid! We're trying to find ways to be better about scripture study as well.

510Jen said...

Too cute! We must all have the same resolutions been doing the scripture thing too and have lobed some of the questions that come out of the kids mouth.

hayleyharts said...

I love that..what a sweetheart. I really think our children can feel the spirit of the sciprtures in their lives, even at such a young age. I think that is way it is so important to foster that love when they are little.

Reisdorfer Ramblings said...

even with the simplest questions kids can make them seem so deep. i love your distraction with food though!

Aimee - Choose To Be Better said...

SPESH!!! Seriously...good for you guys with the reading...proud of you!

Chelise said...

So funny! My replies would have been the same as yours :)

Jennifer said...

I so need to be better at doing this. We have the kid ones and I love them because I understand them better myself and its short and to the point. Oh, that doesn't sound to good. See, I have to work on this one!!!

Shamo said...

Hey Sar....dude haha that is so funny! especially b/c do you remember reading scrips as little kids and you would read a verse and then mom would say, "okay Sarah, what does that scripture mean that you just read?" and you were like....'wait...huh?" HAHA i'm just breakin' balls...haha i just love tucker....such a good little boy. Aimee and i were just talking about how he isn't going to give a single problem as a teen.....tilly though....is another story.

kendra said...

what a good mom you are! Reading scriptures is something I need to work on too. I love how they are when they start understanding even just little things.

Christensen People said...

Oh Sarah, that is so fabulous. We have been reading 5 verses a night with our kids since the summertime and we are in 2 Nephi chapter 32. Yes, I know that doesn't sound like much and we have missed here and there but I so know the peace and the assurance that comes when we are doing what the prophets have asked us to do!