Monday, August 11, 2008

Our Beautiful Ann





I don’t really know how to put into words how it is I feel about Ann. All I can say is that just saying that I loved her is not enough. My love for her went way beyond that. I felt like not only did I have a mother in law who was amazing in every way but I also had a friend. I thought that maybe the best way to do this is to write down some of my fondest memories of Ann. So here are just a few.
* Ann loved her grandbabies. Her life revolved around them. When we would visit her in Price or she would come out to Iowa she would always insist on bathing them. She loved that one on one time with them. Those bath times usually lasted a good hour in the tub.
* When we would go to visit her in the summer time she would take the kids out into the hills to look for treasure or just to go on a nature hike. Tucker and Tilly loved to go on adventures with her.
* Ann was always thinking of others. She was so generous with her time and love and anything else she could give to help somebody out. When she was here right after Ezra was born she scoured my house. Cleaned everything and even reorganized my kitchen for me. I remember I came home one night from the hospital after being with Ezra and she was limping around. I told her to just sit down and relax. She told me..”No, I need to do this, I need to help out in any way that I can right now.”. That is how she was every minute of every day of her life.
* Ann was the best mother in law anyone could have ever asked for. Every time that we were together I felt nothing but love from her. She used to go through these home magazines with me and tell me what she thought would look good in my house or maybe what she was thinking of doing to hers. I know that may seem like a silly memory but to me I cherished those times together. I felt like we were such good friends.
* Whenever I would get my hair done and it was a different color or length she would always tell me how it looked beautiful on me even when it really didn’t. Even when my husband was standing right behind her laughing at me.
* I felt a closeness with Ann that I never thought I would have with any other woman besides my mom. There were several times where I called her mom and then quickly corrected myself. She would look at me with her beautiful big eyes and smile and say, “I don’t care if you call me mom, I like it.” I wish I would have done that more.
* Now I know this is going to be a surprise to some of you but Beau and I would some times have a bit of a disagreement in front of her and she would just stand there quietly and then when it was over and Beau left to cool down she would get this big smile again and in a very sweet and loving voice try to explain why Beau was saying what he said or doing what he was doing. It made me feel good because it made me feel like she didn’t want me upset with her baby but she also didn’t want to see me upset.
* When I was pregnant with Tucker and still working in Salt Lake Ann would come up from Price and we would go to the Olive Garden for lunch. She loved their salad and breadsticks. She would always tell me it was so “nutritious” .
* When Ann was here last she stayed at the house with us. We don’t have an extra bed but we did have a single mattress. Ann put that in the kids room between their two beds and laid with them every night. One night we came home and she was curled up in a little ball at the end of the mattress and Tucker and Tilly were all sprawled out on her mattress. I know she didn’t get one good nights sleep but I know that it didn’t matter to her. As long as she could be close to her precious babies.
Those are just a few of the many many memories that I have of my beautiful mother in law. I wish everyone could have known her because their lives surely would have been blessed if they had. I love her and I know one day I will see her again. I wish I could have given her one more big hug and told her how much I really did love her. I hope she knows that now. She will be greatly missed. I love you Ann.

Below is a copy of her Obituary.
Ann Ross "Grannie Annie" PRICE- Our beloved wife, mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, sister, aunt, friend, and teacher was taken from us too soon in an unfortunate car accident on August 4, 2008. She will be greatly missed by all who knew and loved her. Ann was born on October 14, 1950 in Taos, New Mexico to Cleotilde Vigil and Amadeo Romero. She graduated from Hillcrest High School in 1968 and later earned her Associates of Science degree from the College of Eastern Utah. On September 6, 1970, she married Ronald G. Ross in Elko, Nevada, their marriage was later solemnized in the Manti LDS Temple on December 7, 1994. Ron and Ann moved to Price in 1974 and raised their family of four sons. While residing in Price she was employed for 25 years in the coal mining industry. Her family was the absolute love of her life, especially her 14 grandchildren who affectionately called her "Grannie Annie". Ann was a caring person who had a positive influence on the lives of those she touched. She never suppressed a generous thought or deed; she was a peacemaker and a woman of unique strength and character. Should each of us be able to tear out a page from Grannie Annie's Book of Life and incorporate the wisdom contained therein, we would all be a better and more loving people. Ann you are so dear, so sweet, so beautiful, so precious to us. You are truly an elect lady and we are going to miss you more than words can express. May God be abundant in his blessings upon you. Ann is survived by her loving husband, Ron Ross, Price; four sons and one step-daughter: Don (Lara) Ross, Grand Junction, CO; Ron (Julianne) Ross, Sandy, UT; Scott Ross, Denver, CO; Beau (Sarah) Ross, Coralville, IA; Kari (Reed) Smith, Springville, UT; grandchildren: Noah, Sophia, Avabelle, Lola, Eliza, Isaac, Tucker, Tilly, Ezra, Trevyn, Daryk, Danyelle, Mytchell, Mckenzy, great-granddaughter, Ryan Rae, and one more on the way. She also leaves behind four brothers and three sisters, Ben Valencia, George Gonzales, Tom and Tim Romero, Orlinda Petersen, Lillian Taylor and Irene Leyba, and many other extended family members. Funeral services Saturday, August 9, 2008, 2 p.m., Price Fifth LDS Ward, 545 E. 400 N. Family will receive friends at Mitchell Funeral Home, 233 E. Main Street in Price Friday evening from 6-8 p.m. and at the church Saturday one hour prior to the service. Interment, Cliffview Cemetery, Price. Arrangements entrusted to Mitchell Funeral Home.

14 comments:

Jen said...

Sarah, all of your concerns were not needed. You did a great job with this post and I think everyone can see how much you loved Ann and it was beautifully written. All of your favorite memories made me smile and a few made me tear up knowing how much loved you guys and how much she showed it. I hope I can be like her and show my loved ones constantly how much I love them. See, just you talking about her has made an impression on me.

Jessie Riley said...

PERFECT! You really did have NOTHING to worry about. She would be so pleased if she could read this.

Like Jen, you made me SO impressed with her. All the simple things really are the greatest memories... Thank you for reminding me of that.

You did a GREAT job on this.

Shamo said...

...sarie...i can't believe you didn't throw in the beathroom story!!heehee...when i was pounding down the door b/c i thought it was BJ in there...but it was really little anne enjoying a nice morning bath!!heehee.....i will miss her so much in your lives...what a beautiful, fun woman.

Rachel said...

Sarah. She must have been an amazing woman. Your memories of her are so cute. I love the one about Tucker and Tilly taking over her mattress and her loving to bathe the grandkids. Make sure you write them out for the kids so they can hear the stories of how much their grandma loved spending time with them.

Street Fam said...

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I'm glad you have so many wonderful memories of Ann. We're thinking of you guys and pray for you everyday.

hayleyharts said...

Sarah like others have said, you did a wonderful job. I loved reading about all the memories, she must have been an amazing women. I am so sorry for you and your family's loss. I wish I was there to give you hug- But know that I am thinking of you lots.

Aimee - Choose To Be Better said...

that was really nice, sarah...seriously. you did good.

Emily said...

It is so nice to hear little memories like this. In so many ways, she seems to remind me of my mom...wanting to maximize every moment with my kids when she comes to visit, cleaning, etc. Thank you for sharing!

Nic@Nite said...

What a great tribute to her. I am so sorry for your loss, we are thinking and praying for you guys. I am so glad you had such a great relationship with her, that will mean so much to your kids.

Veronica Reeve said...

Oh Sarah, I can't imagine how hard this must be for your family. We are praying for you all everyday. Thank you for sharing your wonderful memories of a wonderful mom.

Chereebee said...

Sarah, I'm so sorry for your loss. Ann sounds like an amazing women. I love that you wrote down all those great memories you had with her :)

kendra said...

your family is in our thoughts and prayers

The Atwood's said...

She sounds like she was awesome!

510Jen said...

I agree perfect. I only met Ann once and I could tell just then how much of an amazing woman she is. You did a great job on this post. She knows you love her and she is so proud of you and Beau. Hope things are going well I had such a great time the other night it was much needed on my end.