Friday, July 25, 2008

NEVERending Roller Coaster...


So a friend of mine was saying how she wanted to write a book about the different emotions you go through and what to expect when you have a child in the NICU. Her son was born at 24 weeks and was here for about 3 months (maybe more). I really hope she does it one day. AND I would love to help her. Honestly this really is like riding a Roller Coaster in the dark.
On Monday, Dr. Whittington came and gave Beau and I a big boost of hope. I'm sure most of you have read my husbands lovely post explaining everything. Anyways, Yesterday they decided to check Ezra's labs to see how he was doing. I don't remember if Beau wrote that they took him completely off the Fresh Frozen Plasma. Well, yesterday the labs were NOTgood. His clotting factors were very very bad. Not only were his numbers bad but the poor little guy was fussier than I have ever seen him. He was so uncomfortable and just upset. Come to find out they think maybe he might have reflux. SERIOUSLY could anything else be thrown at our little man. ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH! So we have bad lab numbers and then reflux...AND THEN...drum roll please...we get the Liver Doctors that come and evaluate him. I know they are just doing their job and trying to help make him better but holy HELLATION! So they did some reflex thing and said that they think he has the very EARLY signs of Encephalopathy...THINK is the key word. Meaning they think that his brain is being affected a TINY bit by all of this. SOOOO they wanted to check his Ammonia levels today. ****This just in**** Ammonia levels are okay. They are high but not scary high. I was also just told that Denise and Becky the two NNP's...okay I know Becky is a NNP but I don't know about Denise. Anyways they are going to start checking Ezra's reflexes every morning. Also Dr. Whidness (s/p) called Dr. Whittington last night, I'm guessing to talk about the lab numbers. Dr. Whittington said Ezra was still okay and that we didn't need to be talking about a transplant right now. WHEW!

I wanted to post a picture of Dr. Bell because he is and always will be an important part of our lives now. Beau and I feel really blessed that Dr. Bell was his Doctor at that time this all went down. I think Dr. Bell is one of those doctors that you pray for when going through hard times like these. I feel like he isn't just treating a patient but a family. I don't know if that makes sense. Dr. Bell got Dr. Whittington involved and still stays very much involved in what is going on with Ezra. To both of us that just really says alot about a man. He calls on his vacations for updates and checks Ezra's labs when he can. I guess what I am saying is that Beau and I are really impressed with this man. Not that people are wanting or needing our approval and what not. Anyways, Dr. Bell is now our friend whether he wants to be or not. He doesn't have a choice. HAHA

Ezra has graduated from a warmer bed to a crib. He also gets to wear CLOTHES! YAY! I think he is so much more comfortable in his crib than he was the warmer bed. Anyways the updates will keep coming so stay tuned.

P.S. Ezra is really swollen in the picture and that is partly due to the fact that he received a Platelet and Blood Transfusion as well as some Cryo. So LOTS of fluids.

11 comments:

SarahandJD said...

Sarah- Poor ezra! reflux is no fun at all. It is a reassuring thought to have such an amazing Nicu with such a great and caring team. Dr.Bell is an amazing Doctor and becky is also such a sweet NP, don't ya think! I know it's so, so hard the rollercoaster.Once again my heart goes out to you and I think of you guys always. I understand your hardships and will continue to pray for Ezra,peace, and strength! Ezra is so cute in his little clothes, what an exciting first!Hang in there.

Jennifer said...

Our family and our church family is keeping Ezra in our prayers. I just want to give him a big ole' hug. Each day I check the blog to see how he is diong. I was so happy to run into the kids and your sister at the Library. She is so much fun. I am glad she came to tot-time today. I told her that I'll show her the ropes around town and help wear out the kids! Ha Ha! Let us know if you need anything. And WOW - I can't believe how long your hair has gotten. You look great, despite all the stress. Know that we love you guys and we're thinking of you. Jenn & the Sego clan

Chereebee said...

gosh, poor thing!!! That is just not fair that little Ezra has to go through so much!!! What a tough guy though. You continue to be in our prayers :)

Aimee - Choose To Be Better said...

Sarah...sorry about the more bad news thing. That is such a trial...we are all still praying for you guys and for little Ez. Thanks for all the updates...and by the by...since his labs were so bad, are they putting him back on the FFP??? just wondering. I love you guys!

Jason, Kim, & Kallie said...

Sarah, you are seriously mother of the year! You posts are so full of faith and positivity. And little Ezra! Oh, what a sweet little guy in his crib and clothes. Wow, the Ross family is amazing, wish we could be there to do more for you guys!

Jason, Kim, & Kallie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jason, Kim, & Kallie said...

Sarah, you are seriously mother of the year! You posts are so full of faith and positivity. And little Ezra! Oh, what a sweet little guy in his crib and clothes. Wow, the Ross family is amazing, wish we could be there to do more for you guys!

Anna said...

Hi, this is grannie Annie Olsen, not to be confused with Grannie Annie Ross, hee he! i JUST WANT you all to know that the Ross family is holding up terrific. They are doing awesome job and are taking great care of baby Ezra and his brother and sister. Beau is standing tall and strong, doing his duty for the family, while still attending to Ezra when he can, being a strong comfort and loving shoulder for Sarah, and being a terrific daddy. Sarah misses her babies at home so much, she plays with them when she can and she is very strong and good to and for them. She is a wonderful mother and Baby Ezra responds well to her. The nurses up here have told me it is so important for the NICU babies to have the special TLC time with mommy. Beau was spending thenights up here with little Ezra for some time. I may come and spend a few nights myself, just to give him family with him at night. All in all, the Olsen and Ross family are taking care of the family and home for the kids, the friends aare a wonderful support with PRAYERS, love, thoughts, dinners, babysitting, rides from 1 hr away!!!! Everyone, keep the prayers up! We love you all, Anne Olsen

Heather O'Brien said...

WoW! What a rollercoaster you guys are going through. We are still praying like crazy and thinking of you all daily. Ezra is a doll. He is such a cutie. My mom and I ran into your mom at the mall the other day. She is so sweet. We love you guys.

Stephanie said...

Thanks for updating your blog. I know I'm the last person you think of when writing, but I love getting the updates on your little man. I pray for all of you guys every night. And I put your names on the Denver temple roll. So just keep watching for those blessings to come!

Dave and Tricia Folsom Family Fun said...

Sarah - I am so glad you are blogging these updates on Ezra! We were out of town and I didn't even know he was born for a few weeks! He sure is cute. We will keep praying for him and your family. And let us know if there is anything we can do!